This event finished on 22 June 2020
For all open course dates please click the link above.
All those who undertake construction / demolition activities and whose work will involve knowingly disturbing asbestos or potentially could come into contact with asbestos.
To provide candidates with the skills to identify the possible location of asbestos together with knowledge of what to do in the event of asbestos discovery.
At the end of the course the candidates will be able to:
- Identify the different types and possible locations of asbestos containing materials.
- Recognise the possible harmful effects.
- Explain the procedures to take if asbestos is suspected or disturbed.
- Identify the possible health risks and safety control measures.
- Recognise the key legal requirements.
- Initial assessment (Activity)
- History of asbestos
- Legislation ‘what the law says’
- Who is at risk
- Types of asbestos
- The uses and location for asbestos (Activity)
- Asbestos health hazards including smoking and asbestos
- PPE/RPE (wearer demonstration)
- Decontamination and hygiene procedures
- What to do if you disturb asbestos (Emergency procedure) (Activity)
- Summative assessment questionnaire (Activity)